I have posted before about Jasons business PriceMatchedParts.com (http://www.pricematchedparts.com) where he sells performance car parts, ie aftermarket turbo kits, front mount intercooler kits, online. When he, and me as web designer, first started pricematchedparts he was working at Barber Brothers and only was able to work on it at night, well about 4 months into it he was laid off from Barber Brothers (he was the first cut in their downsizing because of the economy crisis) and he threw all his weight into PMP which is now his only source of income. Well pricmatchedparts is becoming so big that now we are keeping in stock some of the more common parts that he sells because customers will call him and want to swing by and pick the part up and give him cash. It's amazing. And if that isn't enough he received so many requests for PMP to install the parts that we sell that we are now getting a shop here in Orem where we will be able to stock parts and offer installations for those customers that would prefer we do both for them. Right now we have a Nissan 350Z sitting in our garage. The owner wanted to make sure he was first on the list to have Jason build his motor so he brought it over so that Jason could get started even before we moved the car to the new shop!
I am so proud of Jason taking his talent with cars and selling and turning it into something tangible.
Well we decided now that Jason is up and running doing what he loves it is time to get me moving. I had been putting in a lot of time learning more web design principles knowing that I want to go into Internet but not sure exactly what part. One day we were at Bretts house and I was showing him some things on Facebook and Brett said to me, "If I was you I would teach business owners how to use things like Facebook for their marketing. I have clients ask me all the time if I have someone that does that kind of stuff." And it hit me. Brett, the genius he is, had just defined for me what part to go into. I went home that night and started researching. Now this might have been fairly easy to just slide into but like Jasons employers when he started his business were laying people off, my work has started to lay people off. So now I am in this catch 22 of needing to show up really well at work to keep my job but at the same time really get this new business moving so that I have another means of income in case I am the next to go! I've got the groundwork laid out so far, http://www.socialnetworkyourbusiness.blogspot.com is where I post how to's so that I can market and get a following. But then I have http://www.socialnetworkyourbusiness.com which is my official selling site. It isn't the doing it that is hard for me so far, it's the where-to-start that seems to be getting in my way. Like chipping away at a glacier.
Anyway, this post has turned into a novel so I am ending here but please if you have any ideas for me or referrals shoot me an email babytwoshoes@msn.com or socialnetworkyourbusiness@gmail.com. I am all about networking now :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment